I held a webinar this week and interviewed Veronica Trethewey from Book Senz whose bookkeeping business has grown phenomenally since she started in 2010. Since about May 2011 when we first met she has kept me up to date with the growth. She hugely exceeded her goals for the first 12 months and is going to do the same in the second year exceeding $25k per month and now has a team of 5. I think she’s right on track to reach her goal of a $1m turnover in 5 years. While juggling the responsibilities of being a wife and mum to three teenage boys and picking grapes during the harvest on the family property!
Her success is a result of her determination to achieve her goals and the right tools to help her get there. I think her story is worth telling because it’s inspirational for other bookkeepers growing their business.
We all need inspiration from time to time and especially when we are struggling just to get by. Life comes at us in all shapes and forms as we dodge and weave around the obstacles while trying to grow our business. They are the times we need inspiration.
Veronica gave some great advice to all bookkeepers – whether you’re just starting up or you’ve been around the traps for a while and perhaps feel a bit jaded:
- Be specific about your goals. Write them down, and include a date. They are what will keep you inspired when the going gets tough.
- Be prepared to change – in the way you run your business, the way you do the bookkeeping and for yourself personally.
- Aim for continual improvement. You don’t need to be perfect.
- Don’t beat yourself up if you haven’t set goals or you haven’t reached the ones you set. Spend time exploring what’s not working and what you need to do to make it work.
- Get support from family, friends or a mentor
Wise words. Where do you get your inspiration from?
Love to hear your thoughts.